Wednesday, November 27, 2013

We're Going on an Exposure Trip!

I apologize for my late update, school has kept me busy, and tonight is a sudden respite from my projects.

This happened two Mondays ago, on the 11th. It was officially the first day of classes for me, classes having been suspended due to the supertyphoon which hit several areas in the Visayas and Mindanao areas of the Philippines. If you'd like to donate to the victims, please do contact your local government officials on how to help. I made a three-part blog entry on how to help, which may be accessed herehere, and here.

On to the blog proper


That Monday morning was filled with excitement. I woke up earlier than usual, which is to say a lot, since I have a very intimate relationship with my bed. I was excited to finally visit our teaching sites for the Literacy Training Service (LTS) Program, which we were grouped and assigned to the previous semester.

A portion of the San Vicente group.
On our way to San Vicente elementary school via jeep!
Our group, the San Vicente group, wore white, while the other group, the Balara group, wore blue. Our group names were taken from the elementary schools we were assigned to. Our class then split up and made our way to our sites at around 9 in the morning.

A few of us San Vicentes got on a jeep and were actually surprised to find the rest of our team waiting for us outside the entrance!

The gates to San Vicente Elementary School.
We were really excited as we made our way into the school. We waited in the quadrangle with our professors while waiting for the school representatives to meet us there. A few minutes and a few careless shots later, the principal and head teacher came out to welcome us.

Inside the school quadrangle, waiting for the principal and head teacher to meet us.
The best shot I could get of my professors and the school representatives.
From left to right: Two of our professors, the principal, the head teacher, and our other professor.
After the representatives welcomed us and thanked us for volunteering in the LTS program, we were given a tour of the grade 2 classrooms. Each room had around 40 to 45 students. Our program will focus on the students of this year level, the students we will take on for the program will be determined by a screening test which we actually administered just this Monday. (Two weeks after this trip)

I will, I will.


We left the school after the tour. Too bad we didn't get the chance to take a group photo! Some of my classmates left immediately. One of these days, I will get a group photo. I will, I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment