Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Lesson Plan 5

For the first lesson in February, my student and I tackled the letter 'L'.

Game of Pairs/Memory Game


As a review of the previous letters tackled ('M', 'A' and 'S'), I had Arvin play a memory game, where he had to find the corresponding pair of a picture, all of which were upside down. After he found a pair, though, he had to identify the word, and tell me the letter with which it starts and the sound that the letter makes. I think this type of game is a very effective way for the child to remember letters and sounds.

Si Aling Lani and the Wordless Picture Book


This lesson's stories included "Si Aling Lani" (Aling Lani), which tells the story of a laundry woman who is famous in her community for washing away any stain at all, including the sauce of litson or roasted pig.

The Wordless Picture Book, entitled "Ang Bagong Kaibigan" (The New Friend), which illustrates how a schoolgirl overcomes the embarrassment of slipping on a swing through the encouragement of a newly-made friend. Some of the words that helped ease in the lesson of 'L' were 'Lani', 'litson', 'labandera' (laundrywoman), 'lampin' (swaddling cloth) and 'labakara' (face towel). I had my student Arvin repeat the words to get the sound right, as he slurred the 'L' sound a bit.

Phrase Reading


One of the last activities was Phrase Reading. Here I had Arvin read a few short sentences, with words that began in 'M', 'A' 'S' and 'L' were typed in bold. After which I asked him a few comprehension questions. He missed a few details and mixed up some names, so I'll have to be sure to help him focus more in the next sessions.

No comments:

Post a Comment