Thursday, February 27, 2014

Lesson Plan 8

February 24's lesson plan tackled the letters 'K' and 'E'. I'm thankful that the letters 'I' and 'E' were tackled separately. This lesson gives me the chance to ease in the letter 'I' and to better explain the difference between the two.

Si Ebang Engkantada


This session's story book was the first that we had to make ourselves. Normally our professor would e-mail us a scanned story that was drawn by her son, and that we would cut into fours. Being an arts student I was excited to do the story book, and thank heavens my requirements for my other subjects were light and afforded me the time to make the illustrations.

Back to the story.

Si Ebang Engkantada is a story that revolves around an engkanto, or an environmental spirit. More of the nymph in Greek mythology, except an engkanto is more anthropomorphic, so to speak. The engkanto's name is Eba, and she resides in a forest with several animals who are also her friends.

One day, a group of loggers come to Eba's forest and begin cutting down the trees. This scares the animals, and prompts them to leave Eba's forest. Saddened by the departure of her companions, she begins crying, and is noticed by one of the loggers, Enteng. When Enteng asks her why she weeps, she tells him the reason and Enteng goes back to his companions, scaring them of fabricated ruses that makes the group leave the forest, giving the animals the opportunity to return and thereby appeasing Eba.

We reviewed words beginning with both 'K' and 'E', like engkantada, Eba, 'elepante' (elephant), 'kuneho' (rabbit), 'kuwago' (owl), and 'kahoy' (wood).

...In my head, the final scene where Eba sits in full glory with her companions was very Katy Perry-esque (thanks to her music video Roar).

Phonological Awareness 


I taught my student Arvin the proper pronunciation of the letters 'K' and 'E', and how to properly write them. Our next activity was photo matching, wherein I would place pictures in a grid on the floor and ask him to place them on a column with the corresponding first letter of the word.

Being a fast learner, he didn't have any problems finishing the exercise given a few minutes.

Arvin's Wordless Picture Book and the Renewal


This week, I introduced Arvin to a new activity: making his own picture book. I asked him to select two sentences from a reading comprehension activity we did and had him draw and write these two sentences on a piece of paper.

Ever since my professor made him write full sentences, the activities have been easier for him, I guess it was a major boost in his self-esteem, and small accomplishments for us like these are what make me very happy and thankful that I'm part of this program. It gives me a renewed sense of purpose, and a determination to prepare Arvin for his post-assessment in a few weeks' time.

No comments:

Post a Comment