Sunday, February 23, 2014

Lesson Plan 7

February 17. My student Arvin and I tackled our second set of two letters: 'T' and 'I'.

Ang Tanghalian nina Teresa and the Wordless Picture Book


A very light story, Ang Tanghalian nina Teresa narrates Teresa's and her family's lunch, prepared by her father.

My student Arvin and I went through the words that began with the letters 'T' and 'I', such as Teresa, Isabel (Teresa's cousin), 'tanghalian' (lunch), 'tatlo' (three), 'talong' (eggplant), 'ipis' (cockroach), and 'itay' (father). Arvin and I have formed a little game: after I let him read the session's story aloud, I let him guess what our two new letters for the week are. I think that this additional exercise will do him a lot of good.

When we were through, we moved on to our next story, the wordless picture book entitled "Ang Bertdey Keyk" (The Birthday Cake).

Phonological Awareness


For this session, I set out an almost-identical activity as the previous session's photo matching. And I was pleased and impressed at Arvin's speedy work. He quickly and correctly identified and matched all the pictures laid out for him, and even remembered the Filipino term for bear! ("Oso"; If you will recall the previous post, he had just learned it last week.)

Worksheets


That day, we also had two worksheets to let our students accomplish. The first was a simple matching activity. Given a batch of pictures, Arvin had to identify the first letter of each word and place the picture in the corresponding column with that letter.

The second was a bit trickier; it consisted of five items, each item comprised of a sentence and an incomplete picture that he had to finish according to the sentence. He breezed through the first three items, but got confused with the instructions on the last two items. This is when I established that although he is a fast learner, Arvin also has a tendency to be careless in his activities. I pointed to the item and asked him why he answered so, and he immediately identified his error.

Hopefully, he will grow out of his careless; he is a smart kid, after all!

No comments:

Post a Comment